Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Much better this time around

For Jeff and I, the first round of fertility treatments were not pretty.  We were just a year into marriage, the shots hurt like a mofo and we were very, very sad people.  Fast forward to this evening.  Jeff and I are 12 years into our relationship, solid as a freaking diamond, the first few weeks of shots are all sub-q (infertile speak for subcutaneous shots; under the skin, not intramuscular [IM shots]).  



And the best part of tonight's shot compared to what it was like 8 years ago?  My hands were being held by the hands of my sweet, man-children.

I totally chickened out and asked Jeff to give me the first shot.  A few weeks ago, when I got the Happy Fun Time Box in the mail, I was more confident than a gorgeous, Italian man in a room full of single women.  I looked at the box, and it flinched.  The box shivered in my presence.  But then tonight, the box transformed from silly, little, rectangle thing made of cardboard into Chuck freaking Norris.

My eyes started playing tricks on me.  Instead of seeing the itty-bitty, 1/2" sub-q needle, I saw a 10' steel pole.  Instead of seeing my husband as he really was, like this:

I saw him as this:






After three false-starts, I was poked in the belly with the "ultra-comfort" needle (which, I must say, lived up to its name), injected with 10units of Lupron and then had a Toy Story band-aid slapped on the injection site.

I am proud to say that the needle poke didn't hurt and that the Lupron didn't sting.  There was a teeny-tiny bit of itching about 5 minutes later, but that went away after about 3 rounds of Bejeweled Blitz.  (STAY AWAY FROM MY HIGH SCORE, YOUNG AND CONLEY!!)

And if it's not asking too much of the Fertility Gods, I'd like to put off the dreaded Lupron headaches until after this Saturday.  I have a wedding to go to and already have three, very precious gentlemen on my dance card.  I cannot disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment